The greatest thing about the Liebster Award is that it represents the relationships that are built in the blogging world. Even though it’s mostly virtual, I’ve come to know some pretty wonderful people all over the world. Some are even in my backyard, like Tara, the powerhouse behind TravelPlusFamily and who nominated me for this award. Although Tara is a fellow Colorado transplant, she has been here much longer than I have, and I love to follow her travels across the state to get some insider tips from her! Her travels go well beyond the great state of CO, though, so be sure to check her out!
In true Liebster Award style, here are my responses to the questions that Tara has thrown my way:
1. As a blogger, what do you hope your reader will gain from a visit to your blog?
I want to encourage families to get outside more. Time together outdoors is great family bonding time – whether it’s camping, hiking, or any other adventure.
And because I know that everyday life can get in the way of spending time outdoors, I love finding and sharing anything that helps busy families get through those busy days. When your weekdays are spent at work and school, and your weekends are spent dealing with things around the house and running errands, it’s hard to find that time to get outside.
2. What is your favorite quote? How does it have significance to your life?
“Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”
With 3 kids, the stuff starts to pile up. One day I noticed that we were spending more time managing our stuff and less time outside, exploring, traveling. I now put a lot of effort in changing that!
3. Name the top 3 blog posts you have written (please provide links) and tell us why they are your favorite.
I don’t have many posts yet, so this will be kind of easy! And since my favorite things revolve around my family, the outdoors, and new adventures, it’s even easier.
My favorite is probably the one about Questival. There are few things we’ve done as a family that was as fun as this adventure race. Plus, I love what the company stands for and the things Questival challenges you to do. We are planning on visiting a new city for our next Questival – it’s a great way to find hidden treasures in a new area!
My first (and so far only) campground review is another favorite. I love finding new campgrounds, but it can be so difficult to know if it’s a good one. Sharing our experiences, including the best sites at Pawnee campground just outside of Boulder, CO was so much fun!
My post on camping gear was another top one. Packing up for camping is my nemesis. I can never understand how it takes so much work and so much stuff to get out into the woods and unplug. I think back to my college days when we camped in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona. We grabbed a tent and packed a bag. We stopped at the gas station for hot dogs, beer, and firewood. That was it! Camping with kids and a dog is a little different, of course, but I strive to get back to the simplicity of camping in those Arizona mountains!
These are all easy favorites because I love outdoors and adventure, and sharing those experiences with readers.
4. How did you pick your blog’s name?
It was my husband’s idea! It all started on that one camping trip. We went out for a short hike, one that just looped around the wooded area of the campground and along the lake. The kids were just babies, and the trail was pretty flat, so we took the double stroller for the two youngest kids. At one point, we actually ran into someone we knew on the trail, which was when we realized we were pushing a double stroller in the middle of the woods! It sounded like a good idea when we started out, but realized how crazy we must have looked to everyone else on the trail. That’s when we knew that nothing will stop us from getting outside and enjoying it. And, yes, we have hiked in our flip flops before!
5. How has blogging changed your life?
When we left the east coast for a new adventure in Colorado, I also left a 10+ year career in the corporate world. And I was ready for something for in my career as well. I LOVED working in my field (marketing analytics), but I was craving a new challenge, to learn new things. A lot of the work I had been doing was related to the blogging world, which gave me the courage to finally jump in. Running a blog is VERY different from the corporate world, and I’ve had to learn to flex and adapt to those changes very quickly. I have a new appreciation for all those entrepreneurs out there!
My Liebster Award Nominees
- Amanda, behind the blog that macro life has introduced me to “counting macros” as a way to healthy eating. Never heard of macro counting? Visit her blog to learn more! I swear that I will jump onto her bandwagon soon!
- Lisa from Making Life Richer gets full credit for getting my son to eat zucchini with her recipe for the most amazing zucchini muffins!! Check out her site for more recipes, easy crafts, and so much more!
- The name says it all over at Dena’s blog: Cultivating Stillness. She has some great perspectives and inspires so many ways to have less chaos in life. Oh, and her recipes look pretty amazing too!
- Jeff and Brandie are the Trippin’ Southerners, who are discovering all kinds of outdoor opportunties in what used to be our neck of the woods. I love reading about their adventures through Tenneessee and beyond!
- Reading posts from Gina at The Curvey Millennial always puts a smile on my face. I may just be reminiscing about my pre-husband and kids days, but her postive nature is absolutely contagious!
My Turn: Questions for My Liebster Award Nominees!
1. If you could only take 1 more trip, where would you go?
2. What is that one post made by you that you like the most, and why?
3. Apple or Android?
4. If you could give someone $1,000,000, who would you give it to?
5. What one tip would you give other bloggers or potential blog starters?